Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Children's books

During work today I was tasked with sorting through a donation of kids books. This is a pretty relaxing and fun job, as I get pretty nostalgic flipping though the novels.

Whoa Goosebumps! I haven't seen this in ages!

I would think as I flipped through the book reading only the exciting parts. Since most of the books are donations, they come from my generation or earlier. To be honest, I had no idea what children's books were like today.

 Until I stumbled upon this one book (it's so bad I've forgotten its name). When I was kid, my favorite book was 'The Hungry Caterpillar' by Eric Carle. I don't know what it was, the cute pictures or the fact that the caterpillar was a brutal eating machine that had no time for emotions. Anyways, the point is that was a good book.
This is a good book

The book I read in the bookshop made me feel sorry for the kids today. What happened to the creativity? 

The book was about a kid, his potty and how he loved to defecate in it.

Wow.

Sure, a book like that is good for a few laughs, but as a children's book? A child can learn about the toilet from their parents. These stories about anthropomorphic animals/objects are supposed to teach us about morals and life lessons. Not how to clear our bowels. As a bonus the books even includes some very detailed drawings of pieces of crap. Lovely.

Here is an excerpt:



Not a good book
HE POOPED ON THE FLOOR. HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE? 
Basically for this to happen, he had to be squatting next to his potty the entire time. Unthinkable. 

2 comments:

  1. Lololololol and I quote "HE POOPED ON THE FLOOR. HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?" Best line there either that or the fact that as you said he had to be squatting next to his potty the entire time lol this made my train ride more enjoyable lol keep up the good writing nick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good point!
    Now days books are almost making no sense.
    except for fantastic writer's books. To tell the truth, children now days will turn into adults behavior really fast all because of the books & new inventions.

    ReplyDelete